Friday, May 23, 2008

Mother empowered, baby brain-damaged; just another MDC homebirth

I'll admit it. I just don't get it. I don't understand how a woman can write multiple posts about how proud she is of herself that she had a homebirth (why, I don't know, since if you stay home in labor, you will most likely have a homebirth), and, oh, by the way, the baby appears to be permanently brain damaged, currently on a ventilator and having seizures.

There is something surreal when a woman can rave about her birth in the exact same post where she informs everyone that they baby required hospital transfer, appears to be profoundly compromised and has probably sustained permanent brain damage. Is a birth "experience" so important that it is worth a brain damaged baby? Precisely what is this woman proud of anyway?

There is no doubt in my mind that homebirth increases the risk of preventable neonatal death, and the scientific evidence confirms that. Therefore, I cannot be suprised that homebirth babies dies and sustain permanent brain damage. However, even I am suprised at the constant parade of homebirths on MDC resulting in stillbirths, neonatal deaths and permanent brain damage. Why don't these women learn from their own experiences?

0 Old Comments: