Sunday, December 07, 2008

Fill in the blanks

Write your own post to the homebirth board on MDC. It’s easy. Check below for the required format. For ease in posting, we’ve included a convenient script. You can simply fill in the blanks.

Title: Seeking support. WWYD?

Hi, all,

I’ve been seeing a _____ (DEM, CNM, shadow care OB) for this pregnancy. I have a history of ______ (high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, previous C-section, all of the above). Now, I ______ (have gone postdates, have low fluid, have rising blood pressure, all of the above). My ______ (DEM, CNM, shadow care OB) is recommending ______ (NST’s, induction, C-section). She says that I am at increased risk for a stillbirth.

WWYD? My intuition tells me that this baby is just fine. I guess I am looking for encouragement to trust myself. I need someone to remind me that my body was designed for birthing my baby and that I can do it!

Homebirther Wannabe
Wife to the greatest man in the world, Mom to 2 furbabies, planning homebirth, cloth diapers, baby wearing, extended nursing and anything else that will piss off my inlaws.

Title for outcome #1: My blissful home waterbirth of Latrina K8tee Emiliana

I got my homebirth! Last night we welcomed our precious daughter Latrina K8tee Emiliana at 2:43 AM. She needed a little help to get going. There was _____ (some thick mec, a shoulder dystocia, difficulty getting started breathing, all of the above). Our midwife was amazing. She called 911 right away even though she was dealing with my (retained placenta, massive postpartum hemorrhage, seizures, all of the above). The EMTs performed ______ (mouth to mouth, ambu-bagging, CPR, all of the above) on Latrina in the ambulance. Fortunately, we live close by the hospital; it only took 30 minutes to get there.

My only regret is that I have been separated from Latrina. Dh is unbelievable. He has stayed by Latrina’s side through her transfer to the Children’s Hospital upstate and her ______ (admission to the NICU, intubation, seizures, all of the above). In the meantime, I’ve had ______ (a trip to the OR for retained placenta, several transfusions, a hysterectomy, all of the above). As soon as I stop passing out every time I stand up, I’m going to sign myself out of the hospital against medical advice so I can see Latrina.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their support. My _____ (DEM, CNM, shadow care OB) made me doubt myself, but the wonderful mamas here convinced me that I could do it. You were right!

Title for outcome #2: Update, warning sensitive (loss)

I got my home waterbirth. Last night we welcomed our precious angel Latrina K8tee Emiliana at 2:43 AM. There was _____ (some thick mec, a shoulder dystocia, difficulty getting started breathing, all of the above). Our midwife was amazing, but it was not to be. She called 911 right away even though she was dealing with my (retained placenta, massive postpartum hemorrhage, seizures, all of the above). The EMTs performed ______ (mouth to mouth, ambu-bagging, CPR, all of the above) on Latrina in the ambulance. Fortunately, we live close by the hospital; it only took 30 minutes to get there. The doctors and nurses worked for an additional hour trying to save her. I was surprised at how kind they were. The young doctor who told Dh and me of her passing had tears in his eyes.

Dh has been unbelievable. He’s stayed by my side for my ______ (trip to the OR for retained placenta, several transfusions, hysterectomy, all of the above). As soon as I stop passing out every time I stand up, I’m going to sign myself out of the hospital against medical advice to begin planning Latrina’s memorial service.

I can’t understand why this happened. I _____ (ate right, exercised, thought positive thoughts, all of the above). At least I know that I did everything I could to keep Latrina safe. I am proud of myself and of Latrina. The _______ (DEM, CNM, shadow care OB) thought we couldn’t do it, but with encouragement from the wonderful mamas here, we proved them wrong.

I just can't stop thinking: why me?

0 Old Comments: