Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Homebirth advocacy is obnoxious and vicious

Homebirth and "natural" childbirth advocates get a real charge out of demeaning other women. Sometimes I think that is the whole point, making themselves feel good by making other women feel bad. In short, they are bullies. What is even more appalling is that homebirth providers, who can't figure out why no other medical professionals takes them seriously, are simply professional bullies.

It's not like this is news to me, but every now and then I come across something that is so breathtakingly cruel that I am shocked. That's the feeling that I got when I first read Michel Odent's obnoxious lie that women who don't have painful labor don't bond to their children. That's the feeling that I get when I read this piece of garbage posted by Red Pomegranate, who purports to be a nurse, doula and midwife wanna be.

I'm not going to link to it. I'm sure it will be easy to find. It is the work of a "mean girl". You know the kind, the ones who cannot feel good about themselves unless they hurt someone else.

Red Pomegranate's post manages to epitomize the most distasteful aspects of homebirth advocacy: the nastiness, the self congratulation, the looking down on other "uneducated" women, the complete unwillingness to acknowledge that other women's choices are equally valid. Red Pomegranate is undoubtedly proud of herself for her little humor piece. Instead, she should be embarrassed. I'm simply disgusted.

0 Old Comments: